Banking a Basket Experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

Bd552161

Banking a Basket Experiment

Post by Bd552161 »

Hello!

I am doing the banking your basket experiment for my sceience fair. I am computing the contact line lengths using algebra and geometry as well as have created the scaled down model to triangulate my findings.

I am struggling with computing X1 when Beta = 90 and the ball lands to the left and to the right. I know that when the ball lands center, Xtot = 0 and so X1 and X2 are both 0. However, when the ball lands right, I believe that Xtot = 0.11m with X1 = 0.01m and X2 = 0.10m. I believe that the numbers will remain the same for when the call lands left. But, then I run into the issue of having the length of my contact line for beta = 90 come out to be 0. This is obviously wrong. What am I doing wrong here? Also, as an FYI, I get contact line lengths of 0.04m at beta = 30, 0.07m at beta = 10, 0.02 at beta = 60. I hope those are correct. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Banking a Basket Experiment

Post by AmyCowen »

Did the help you received in your original thread help solve this question?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20198&p=67141#p67141

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”