Forming a Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

emmaing

Forming a Question

Post by emmaing »

My partner and I are set on creating an app for the science fair. We have already started with the creation of the app and, for us, it is too late to turn around. We are having trouble creating an if/then statement and identifying independent/dependent variables. Science fair is about experimentation, but we can't quite identify our experiment. How could we create a testable question through the creation of this (helpful to the public) app.
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Forming a Question

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi,
Can you tell us a little bit more about your app and what you are trying to do with it please?

At any rate, here's a possible if / then statement for an app:
If the background of the app is red, then users are more likely to click this button. In this case, the independent variable is the background color of the app and the dependent variable is the click rate.

Also, please take a look at this:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... hypothesis

Best of luck with the app and your experiment / science fair!
Willey
emmaing

Post by emmaing »

Thank you for responding so quickly. It is an app designed to help people who cannot communicate with words to describe their situation to others and ask for help. In short, we seek to provide different buttons that provide explanations as to why someone is nonverbal. In addition, we seek to give users an option to message between two people on one platform through an A/B system. I suppose that your previous if/then statement could apply, however, it seems to me that it would work better with an app meant to entertain and bring in an audience. Do any other ways of forming a question or statement come to mind? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi,
Thanks for the additional information. It sounds like you have an engineering project on hand so I would suggest that you look at your test / software validation plan and generate a hypothesis / experiment based on it.

Specifically, you can perform experiments with independent variables (such as a different variant of the button - size, shape, color, etc...) and a dependent variable (such as how much time (or number of click, etc...) did it take to deliver the explanations as to why someone is nonverbal.

I hope that gives you some idea.
Good Luck!
Willey

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”