Which Team Batting Statistic Predicts Run Production Best?

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

ryanwiener

Which Team Batting Statistic Predicts Run Production Best?

Post by ryanwiener »

I have completed everything for this project except the Linear Regression Analysis. For step 2 of that part of the project I am not exactly sure what is supposed to be my output and input values because I have tried inputting some with the directions it tell me and the excel sheet will not run it. So I am wondering if someone could help to show or tell me exactly what the input and output values should be because I have all the data up to this point. Thank you.
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Which Team Batting Statistic Predicts Run Production Best?

Post by MadelineB »

Hello RyanWiener and welcome to Science Buddies,

Are you doing this project?

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... cs#summary

This is an interesting project, but there are some detailed steps to pay attention to!

For example, what does the spreadsheet you created in Step 2c of Procedures look like?

Could you print that to a pdf file and upload the pdf file?

Also, do the same if you've run the correlations ... do you have a spreadsheet that looks like Figure 8 in Procedures?

Thanks ... being able to see these will be very helpful! "Talk" to you soon!

Madeline
ryanwiener

Post by ryanwiener »

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 5.13.59 PM.pdf
(310.8 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
Yes it is that project and I have attached my data, the top part being the initial data gathered from an online source, and the bottom data is the one in which I do not know how to run the linear regression analysis on. I am not exactly sure what should be my exact input and output from step 2 of the analysis section and hopefully you can help me out to know how to input this data into a linear regression analysis on excel.
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by MadelineB »

Hi RyanWiener,

Cool! Looks like you've finished steps 1a and 1b in the Procedures Section "Running Correlation and Linear Regression Analysis"

Have you worked through step 1c in that section? That step has you looking at the entries in the correlation matrix that you calculated in steps 1a and 1b. Look for the largest 3 or 4 correlations with runs.

Now you're ready to do this step: "Perform a linear regression analysis on each the variables you selected in the previous step. "

As those instructions say, you need to consider just one pair of variables at a time.

You will be using the data in the top spreadsheet. So pick runs as your Y variable and one of the battings statistics with the highest correlation as your X variable. See if you can follow the steps that create Figure 9.

You might want to use the help menu for "linear regression" in your Excel program, or even use google "how to do linear regression in excel."

Remember you will be using the data in the top spreadsheet!

See if this helps! Looking forward to hearing how far you get in this next step!

Madeline

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”