Comparing Virtual Nanobot Tactics

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

triplures
Project Question: PLEASE HELP ME i saw the link regarding about the nano tech divison and l don't know how to open and if it work as well as the coding it a little complicated for me can you help me hoe to open it please l begging you l love computer --- BELIEVE IT ---
Project Due Date: ha 3 day's from now on the monday, 26 ,2009 jan ..... 8:25am in the morin' .....
Project Status: I am just starting

Comparing Virtual Nanobot Tactics

Post by triplures »

----HELP ME PLEASE i am doing a science fair project on this as well but i don't know how to open and to run this thing and where to program it i am in grade 9 i have some what knowledege of computers and l wanted to a project on this but there a problem how you do this i no KNOW please help me and please i need a response before trm at 8:00pm sat, 24 ,jan, 09 please HELP ME ---- BELIEVE IT -----
Last edited by triplures on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Comparing Virtual Nanobot Tactics

Post by amyc »

Hi - I'm sorry your post didn't receive a reply from an expert here in the forums. While experts monitor the Ask and Expert forums every day, it is possible your post was overlooked as it wasn't listed as a new topic. I hope you got the application to work. Are you still in need of assistance? Or has your project already been completed?

Amy
Science Buddies
mpphlipot
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by mpphlipot »

Hi triplures,
We need to understand exactly what your problem is before we can offer much in the way of suggestions. I assume you read all of the instructions at the project webpage: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p021.shtml That page has pretty complete instructions for how to download and run the program.

The first step is to download the zip file containing the simulator and additional documentation. Were you able to do that? Have you been able to unzip the individual files into a directory?

The next step would be to run the simulator with the sample asm program supplied. What operating system are your using? Windows? Apple? Linux? The above project webpage has instructions for running it on an Apple or Linux. (Those are not my area of expertise.) Here is how you would run it on Windows:

1. Click the Windows Start button and click on the Run… menu item. This will open a dialog box.
2. Type cmd in the box and click ok. This will open a Windows command shell.
3. Use the cd command to change directories to the directory where you unzipped the downloaded files.
4. Type the following at the command prompt: contest06 –p:samplebot.asm

That will start the simulator with the sample bot code and give a graphical display of the bots running.

If you got this far but are having other problems, please provide more detail and we’ll try to help.

Good luck!

Mike
triplures
Project Question: PLEASE HELP ME i saw the link regarding about the nano tech divison and l don't know how to open and if it work as well as the coding it a little complicated for me can you help me hoe to open it please l begging you l love computer --- BELIEVE IT ---
Project Due Date: ha 3 day's from now on the monday, 26 ,2009 jan ..... 8:25am in the morin' .....

Post by triplures »

Hello thanks for reply i got an extention jan 28 09 and if i miss that well -20% on friday which that what i am planning for it not that bad at least l got a mark it up to me to present my work yet the fact that the file i download is not working causing delays

here are the following problems

-- download folder onto my drive c:\(myacount) desktop
--- sucess in extacting folder
--- opening folder
--- opened cmd
---- writen the following command
---- error
---- double click on the contest 06 --- error
---- puching the computer sucess
---- bleeding sucess
---- panicing sucess
---- read the instruction again calm
---- error again
---- WINDOWS XP EDITION I ALSO TRY LOGGING INTO ADIMIN NO WORK
how do you open the file is my question and then the assembly language
can you show me a vid or some sort please thank you again and DON'T WORRY L CAN FINISH THESE RESULTS INONE DAY TRUST ME 8)
mpphlipot
Former Expert

Post by mpphlipot »

Ok, the info you provided helps. But more detail on what you are seeing would be better. For example, what are the exact error messages you are getting?

So you are able to open the command shell window? Did you use the cd command to change to the directory where the contest06.exe file is located?

If you do a dir command at this point, you should see something like the following listed:
01/27/2009 04:02 PM <DIR> .
01/27/2009 04:02 PM <DIR> ..
02/08/2006 05:15 PM 180,620 contest06-apple
02/08/2006 05:54 PM 130,142 contest06-linux
02/08/2006 05:07 PM 143,360 contest06.exe
07/13/2006 11:59 AM 1,351 samplebot.asm
07/14/2006 06:22 PM 160,953 SciBudProjectBioGenerator.pdf
5 File(s) 616,426 bytes
2 Dir(s) 48,541,908,992 bytes free

Do you see a listing like that? If not, you aren’t in the right directory.

Then enter the command: contest06 –p:samplebot.asm

That should start the simulator running and displaying output in the command shell window. If not, what is the error message you are getting?

Mike
triplures

Post by triplures »

nope wait let me see

when you open cmd it say's

MIRCOSOFT WINDOWS XP [VERISON 5.1.2600]
(c) copyright 1985-2001 mircosoft corp.

C:\Documents and settings\Thushanth>contest06 –p:samplebot.asm
'contest06' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

--- file is located in C:\Documents and Settings\Thushanth\Desktop\Thushanth documents\social\CompSci_p021_Files then i pulled the file into the cmd to see what happpend

C:\Documents and settings\Thushanth>C:\Documents and Settings\Thushanth\Desktop\Thushanth documents\social\CompSci_p021_Files.exe'

symantec 2006 university programming competition
(c)copyright 2006, symantec corpration

usage: contest06 -option1:value1 -option2:value2 . . .

-g:x
-i:####
-l:log.txt
-p:org.asm
-q
-S:####
-z:org.asm

* means required field

no player file specified

C:\Documents and settings\Thushanth> ------- QUESTION THAT I CAN RESOLVE TO NARROW DOWN --------

--i can open cmd. i cannot understand where to move or how to move a file but i know the code MOVE and COPY
correct?

----how do you open atxt file like samplebot and run it later after i get this think work..
Last edited by triplures on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisG
Former Expert

Post by ChrisG »

HI triplures,
You need to point the command prompt to the location of the executable file. Before you type in the command to execute contest06.exe, try typing "cd C:\Documents and Settings\Thushanth\Desktop\Thushanth documents\social\CompSci_p021_Files". This will change directories to the one the contains the executable file.

There are various other ways to do this, but I think that changing directories using the "cd" command will work best for you.

Did you read this part of the project description?
"This project requires previous experience in assembly language programming, or previous experience in higher-level programming languages (e.g., BASIC, C, C++) and a willingness to learn assembly language programming."
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p021.shtml
Do you have programming experience?

Good luck.

Chris
mpphlipot
Former Expert

Post by mpphlipot »

Ok, we may be getting close here.

When you get the initial command prompt, enter the following command:

cd desktop\thushanth documents\social\compsci_p021_files

This directs the command shell to execute everything out of the directory that contains the files. Now you should be able to run the command “contest06 –p:samplebot.asm” and it should work for you.

The samplebot.asm file is just a text file. You should be able to edit it with the windows notepad program. It’s a pretty basic editor but should do the trick.

Mike
triplures

Post by triplures »

ok something changed

MIRCOSOFT WINDOWS XP [VERISON 5.1.2600]
(c) copyright 1985-2001 mircosoft corp.

C:\Documents and settings\Thushanth>cd desktop\thushanth documents\social\compsci_p021_files

C:\Documents and settings\Thushanth\desktop\thushanth documents\social\compsci_p021_files>contest06 –p:samplebot.asm
'contest06' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and settings\Thushanth\desktop\thushanth documents\social\compsci_p021_files>

so what next? it ain't work tho the text changed how do i open samplebot?
mpphlipot
Former Expert

Post by mpphlipot »

Please confirm that the contest06.exe file is really in this directory:
C:\Documents and settings\Thushanth>cd desktop\thushanth documents\social\compsci_p021_files

You can use the "dir" command to list the files in that directory. The error message you are getting means that windows cannot find that executable file in that directory.

You need to have both files (contest06.exe and samplebot.asm) in the current directory for this to work.

I have a similar concern as Chris’ that you may not have the necessary background to be successful on this project with what looks like a very short timeline. You are struggling over the first, most simple, parts of the project – to just get the sample working. Once you get past this hurdle, you need to do the assembly language programming to make changes to the bot. That’s going to take quite a bit of time and probably trial and error. Do you have that kind of time to put into this project before your deadline?

Mike
triplures

Post by triplures »

IT IS OK PLEASE DON"T ASK AGAIN!!! IF I CAN FINISH IN TIME THANK YOU

SO I TRYED WHAT YOU SAID IT WORKS IT GET UP TO THIS

ERROR LOADING SETTINGS:
INVALD OPTION: UP:SAMPLEBOT.ASM
mpphlipot
Former Expert

Post by mpphlipot »

I think you incorrectly entered the command to run the simulator. The command needs to be:

contest06 –p:samplebot.asm

I tried entering the following incorrect command (with a “u” instead of “-“:

contest06 up:samplebot.asm

and it gave me the same error that you are reporting.

Please take your time and read the instructions carefully. I really hope it works for you this time.

Mike
triplures

Post by triplures »

IT WORKS NEVER MIND BUT HOW LONG DOES THIS PROGRAM WORK ??? CAUSE I KEEP SEEING @ x AND y ALL OVER THE PLACE IT WORKING + $ signs
mpphlipot
Former Expert

Post by mpphlipot »

Whew! Glad to see you got it working. The dancing characters are a graphical representation of your bots running around eating sludge, depositing energy, etc.

You will have to read the project webpage and PDF file that you downloaded in the zip file. It is a very clear, in-depth description of how to program your bots, debugging them, running the simulator with various options.

It's up to you now to get smart on all those details and design an experiment for your project.

Best of luck!
Mike
triplures

Post by triplures »

THANKS SO MUCH REALLY I ALDEARY DID MY TXT SAMPLEBOT LANGUAGE SO THAT CUT THE TIME :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”