gear reduction query

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

Horus
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

gear reduction query

Post by Horus »

I'm working on a project that will require me to build a turn table that must make 1 revolution per hour (counter clockwise). I will be employing a gearmotor, 0.5 rpm, 12vdc. with a full torque load (in.-lbs): 50. Input power 1/2800 HP, full load ratio 7189:1

The diameter of the Output gear will be 20 inches. Atop this gear there'll be a 1:24 scale model of an exhibition interior.The load weight will not be anywhere close to 50 lbs.

My question is, given the motor specs, what will the diameter of the input gear have to be in order to turn the the 20 inch diameter Output gear 1 revolution in an hour ?

I sincerely appreciate any info you could provide me concerning this matter. Should you require further info please let me know. Thank you for your time and consideration.
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: gear reduction query

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi:

Here is a Science Buddies project on gears and gear ratios:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p016.shtml

From what you said your motor makes 1 revolution every 2 minutes. You need your main gear to make 1 revolution every 60 minnutes, which is a 30 to one reduction.. If your output gear is 20 inches in diameter, your driving gear must be 1/30 of that or 2/3” in diameter.

Have a great project!

Best regards,

Barrett L. Tomlinson
Horus
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: gear reduction query

Post by Horus »

Barrett, Thanks so very much! - Horus

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”