Finding the area of an irregular shape (area of land). . . .

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

imatreyu
Project Question: Investigating the possibility of building a rain-water dependent turbine on Mt. Waialeale, Kauai
Project Due Date: 1/20/10
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Finding the area of an irregular shape (area of land). . . .

Post by imatreyu »

I need to find the area of the area of land that receives more than 280 inches of rain per year. (Only the area in the very center--the summit of Mt. Waialeale)

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Resources/k ... er-map.gif

I do not have access to a sensitive scale, and the project is due on Tuesday.

I would really appreciate any advice or methods on how to find this area. (Any computer programs?) Please help!

Thank you in advance!
rgoelmsft
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Finding the area of an irregular shape (area of land). . . .

Post by rgoelmsft »

I don't have a great answer for you. That's a pretty small area, so it will be difficult to measure the area accurately. Here's what I would probably do if I were you:

1. Put a piece of graph paper into your printer, and print out the GIF image onto the graph paper.
2. To get a higher resolution just near the center part of the island where the rainfall is >280, divide up the graph paper squares yourself into smaller squares, both horizontally and vertically. For example, perhaps each of your graph paper squares could be divided into 16 smaller squares (if you have a really sharp pencil and a steady hand!).
3. Count up how many small squares are covered by the bright pink area.
4. Figure out how much area (in sq. miles) is covered by each small graph paper square. To do this, you would need to know the "scale" of your printout. The whole island is about 31 miles wide horizontally, and 24 miles wide vertically, so that should help you determine your scale.

--Rajeev
imatreyu
Project Question: Investigating the possibility of building a rain-water dependent turbine on Mt. Waialeale, Kauai
Project Due Date: 1/20/10
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Finding the area of an irregular shape (area of land). . . .

Post by imatreyu »

Thank you so much for your good advice!

I did end up enlarging it and then used a scale and such to create triangles to find an approximate area.
Not so great. . .but it's due very soon. . so oh well. Haha. . .Thank you again for taking the time to answer!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”