What would be the independent/dependent variable in a survey

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

Smath
Project Question: How many survey respondents would I need to represent the general population?
Project Due Date: Couple of days
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

What would be the independent/dependent variable in a survey

Post by Smath »

What would be the independent/dependent variables in a survey questionnaire that would be issued to the general public and regards questions on personal preference when it comes to digital audio formats, like favorite types of files, type of media player/computer, etc. ?
rgoelmsft
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: What would be the independent/dependent variable in a survey

Post by rgoelmsft »

Hi,

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what your independent/dependent variables should be unless I know more about your science project. Simply sending out a survey questionnaire doesn't constitute a proper scientific investigation. You need to have a question that you are trying to answer through experimentation. Then once you're at the point of designing the experiments, we can talk about what your independent/dependent variables should be.

For more information about the scientific method, visit this page:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... thod.shtml

--Rajeev
ScienceExpert123
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: What would be the independent/dependent variable in a survey

Post by ScienceExpert123 »

Rajeev is correct

generally, for simple questions you can make a bar graph, with the independent variable (x-axis) as the different things that people would like and the dependent variable (y-axis) as the percentage or number of people who liked those products.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”