programming nanorgs helpm

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

mmpabc2000
Project Question: math/computer science
Project Due Date: december
Project Status: I am just starting

programming nanorgs helpm

Post by mmpabc2000 »

the contest06 file opens for 2 seconds and then closes anyone else have this problem and/or a solution to it? much appreciated.

[Added by site moderator: Science Buddies project link: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p021.shtml ]
JasonS
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: programming nanorgs helpm

Post by JasonS »

Waaaaaaaay late but I noticed this didn't have a response and I had helped a student with a similar issue. Here it goes:

Hey Zak,

I think I know what the issue is...because I just ran into the same problem = ).

You can't simply run Contest06.exe by double clicking it, or, as you saw, it only flashes on the screen temporarily. You have to follow the instuctions on the project website below. Since I already went throught the steps I listed the specifics below below. Let me know if you have any questions and happy NANORGing!

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentoring ... estProgram

Specifically:

Using the Contest Program

The contest program (provided for Windows, Red Hat Linux, and Apple OS X) can be used to test and debug your NANORG program. Here's how to get started:

1. Unzip all of the files into a new directory (i.e., folder) on your hard drive.
2. Open a command shell (e.g., CMD.EXE under Windows) and make sure that the command shell window is at least 80 columns wide by 50 rows high. (If you do not do this, the CONTEST06 program output will be difficult to understand.)
* You can do this by going to Start at the bottom left of your Windows screen then selecting Run typing in cmd.exe and hitting OK*
3. You can start by editing the sample NANORG that Symantec provided:
samplebot.asm
Using your favorite source editor, e.g. NOTEPAD or a programming editor (e.g., Crimson Editor, Kang, 2004). You can modify the programming logic of our sample NANORG to improve it. Alternatively, you can create your own NANORG from scratch.
4. Once you have updated/created your NANORG source file, you can test it by following the instructions below. If your NANORG programming logic contains any syntax errors or other errors that prevent it from compiling, the contest program will inform you of these errors, and you can fix them.
5. You can iteratively update your NANORG's programming logic and re-test it until you are happy with it.

Then...

To assemble and run your organism source file and see how it works, use this command line (or its equivalent for Linux or OSX as detailed in the section below, Running the Contest Program on Apple or Linux Computers):

C:\CONTEST06> CONTEST06.EXE –p:yourPlayerFile.asm

Where yourPlayerFile.asm is whatever you name your NANORG's assembly file.

*If you don't change the file that you downloaded from the website you'll use samplebot.asm *

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentoring ... estProgramJasonS
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable
Shadeslayer80
Project Question: I need help opening the contest program for Programming NANORGS in a virtual World.
Project Due Date: 12/3/2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by Shadeslayer80 »

I open mine and it tells me that "contest06.exe is not a valid win32 application". How do I fix that and I tried all the procedures but it still won't open. I need the answer by today by at least 10:00 pm. My project is due tomorrow.
Shadeslayer80
Project Question: I need help opening the contest program for Programming NANORGS in a virtual World.
Project Due Date: 12/3/2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by Shadeslayer80 »

never mind i found out. open "cmd" or Command Prompt. Now then, go to your user file, in "Local Disk", then "Users", then [your user], and make a folder called "NANORG". Now on cmd, type "cd NANORG", and then "contest06.exe -p:[yourfile].asm". This will run your program on another seed.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”