program writing?

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

shinnybinny
Project Question: i am not sure
Project Due Date: in over a month
Project Status: I am just starting

program writing?

Post by shinnybinny »

i wanted to write a program for the kiwanis sciences fair which i have to participate in for science, but my teacher says i have to follow the scientific method (well obviously). there are all these ideas on writing a javascript program on this site, but i was wondering, how exactly would i apply the scientific method to it? is it even possible? any help would be greatly appreciated.
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: program writing?

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. You can absolutely apply the scientific method to a java programming experiment! Using the scientific method means you have a question you wish to investigate; and so you research, test, analyze, and make conclusions. You must formulate a hypothesis, test your hypothesis; and, based on the outcome of your experiment, make a determination about the validity of your hypothesis. After you formulate your hypothesis, you should determine what variable(s) will affect the outcome of your test.

So, what are you hoping to accomplish with your java program? Are there different settings (hence, a variable) you could change within the java programming that will affect the results of the program?

Check out this topic idea as an example. The timing interval is the variable. By changing timing interval, the purpose is to investigate whether this changes the outcome (smoothness).
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... k&from=TSW

I hope this helps. Certainly write back if you have further questions. Good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”