procedures, variables help

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

LTHinds

procedures, variables help

Post by LTHinds »

My Science Fair Project The Wave Tube placed 1st in the science fair and is advancing to the next level. I received my scoring and need to improve on my procedures, variables and results (They want a chart) I built a Kundt's Tube to see and measure sound. It took some trial and error to get project ready. My tube was too long, speakers burnt put and replaced, amp too small, 4 various mediums etc. I put all these things in the log book. And put the most important things on the project board. I don't know what I need to do to improve please help!
WAVE TUBE.pdf
final docs for project bpard
(61 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
The Wave Tube photos.pdf
photos,scoring
(4.55 MiB) Downloaded 217 times
cumulonimbus
Former Expert

Re: procedures, variables help

Post by cumulonimbus »

Hi LTHinds,

First of all, congratulations on your success and good job on your experiment! To improve your project, I think you can try making your procedure, variables, and results more specific. In your procedure, you should include every single step in detail so that another person could replicate the same experiment. You should also include what your independent variable is (i.e. what you change - I'm assuming the length of the tube), the dependent variable (what you measure - the speed of sound, or maybe what harmonic waves you see), and any controlled variables (what you keep constant). In your purpose, you can add the variables as well as a bit more explanation on how Kundt's tube actually works. How does it allow you to calculate the speed of sound and why does it allow you to see a standing wave?

For the results, you can make a chart of the different tube lengths and the corresponding measurements you obtained (i.e. harmonics, speed of sound calculated, etc.). If you performed the experiment several times with the same tube length, you can record the different sound speeds you calculated in a chart as well.

I hope this helps!

Elena
LTHinds

Post by LTHinds »

Thank you Elena! Your information is a great HELP! I am excited to go to The DaVinci Art and Science Fair in Oak Ridge next month! It will be my second year. Last year I placed 2nd in O.R. this year I hope to take 1st home! I might do it with the help you gave me.

Best Regards,
Lucas
LTHinds

Procedures on project board

Post by LTHinds »

Hello i am improving my project board for the next level and have a question.
Do the steps in my Science fair project that were failures need to be included in the
procedures on the project board? They are in the log book.

Thank you,
Lucas

Moderator note: Hi Lucas, I merged this question with your previous posts, so the expert who has been helping you will see your follow-up questions. Good luck at your next fair!
LTHinds

Post by LTHinds »

Thank you
cumulonimbus
Former Expert

Post by cumulonimbus »

Hi LTHinds,

Although I wouldn't necessarily put the failures in your formal procedure (since you want to detail the process that actually worked), you should make a note of the failed steps somewhere, perhaps next to your procedure.

Elena

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”