Can someone help me find primary research paper/article on Mass affect on battery life

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

whamfan

Can someone help me find primary research paper/article on Mass affect on battery life

Post by whamfan »

My daughter is a 5th grader and is doing a science fair project on "Does weight affect a drones Battery life?". We are looking for some primary source that has researched the relationship between mass or weight and battery life. This far we have been able to find information from Tesla specifically on their cars weight and how far these cars of different weights will travel on a single charge. But I have not been able to find any articles which define the relationship between a vehicle's mass and energy consumption (in this case battery life).

Thank you for your help,

Tahra & Marinel
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Can someone help me find primary research paper/article on Mass affect on battery life

Post by rmarz »

whamfan - This experiment procedure, as described in the Science Buddies information, is to run several tests of a quadcopters flight time from fully charged battery status to inability to sustain flight while adding weights to the vehicle. There might not be a lot of available information on the subject, so this experiment might prove interesting. Here is a link describing a similar experiment for a similar school science project. As this experiment is basically a series of empirical observations, you should see similar results.

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/wei ... s-possible

I suggest that you reduce as many variables as possible between tests by making your flights as consistent as possible. For example, consider taking the drone to a consistent low altitude and simply hover at that altitude until the speed of the propellers slowly decreases until the craft settles to the ground. Good luck.

Rick Marz
lolitamia

Re: Can someone help me find primary research paper/article on Mass affect on battery life

Post by lolitamia »

rmarz wrote:whamfan - This experiment procedure, as described in the Science Buddies information, is to run several tests of a quadcopters flight time from fully charged battery status to inability to sustain flight while adding weights to the vehicle. There might not be a lot of available information on the subject, so this experiment might prove interesting. Here is a link describing a similar experiment for a similar school science project. As this experiment is basically a series of empirical observations, you should see similar results.

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/weight-vs-battery-life-thank-you-for-making-this-possible

I suggest that you reduce as many variables as possible between tests by making your flights as consistent as possible. For example, consider taking the drone to a consistent low altitude and simply hover at that altitude until the speed of the propellers slowly decreases until the craft settles to the ground. Good luck.

Rick Marz
Hi Rick,
found your reply just searching another staff here, however thank you for sharing the article about "Weight vs Battery life" it was of my personal interest because of other projects I follow

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”