Electromagntetic generator project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ahumayed

Electromagntetic generator project

Post by ahumayed »

Hello,
I am doing a science project for my 4th grader son. It is about magnets and electrical current.
Please help me create a title and form my question and hypothesis.

Current title is Electromagnetic Generator.
Question: Can a magnet and conductive wire coil generate electricity, and if the number of turns in the coil makes a difference in the amount of electric current?

Hypothesis: If I use a magnet to cause a magnetic field around the coil then, an electric current can be generated from the coil.

Why: Why the number of turns in the coil will change the electrical current.

Thank you very much in advance,
Alex.
kaylimasuda
Former Expert

Re: Electromagntetic generator project

Post by kaylimasuda »

Your title and question are very good starting points.

Title: Possible title techniques are alliterations or an attention-getting hook followed by a short explanation. Examples for the first technique are "Conductive Coils" or "Coiled Currents." An example for the second (not relating to this experiment) is "Getting Misty: Generating Electricity from Steam." You could alter these to your liking, although most anything would do for titles. You could even mix and match, such as "Corkscrew Currents: Generating Electricity from Electric Coils."

Question: Since we already know that the magnet and conductive wire coil produce electricity, I would cut that part out and focus on the latter half of the sentence. For example, "What is the relationship between the number of coils in conductive wire and the production of an electric current?"

Hypothesis: I suggest deciding the relationship, whether it is a direct relationship (an increase in the number of coils causes an increase in the production of electricity) or an indirect relationship (an increase in the number of coils causes a decrease in the electric current). Also as a note, it is perfectly fine to have an incorrect hypothesis, so I wouldn't fret about "being right." Afterall, a hypothesis is just an educated guess.

I hope that this all helps! Feel free to ask more questions!
-Kayli Masuda

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”