Heating a Magnet

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

aplachta

Heating a Magnet

Post by aplachta »

Hi,

I am helping my 10 year old son with his science fair project, How does the Strength of a magnet varies with temperature. We are boiling the magnet for 20 mins but have found that it is stronger than room temperature, iced water, and the freezer trials. What are we doing wrong?

Thank you.
kaylimasuda
Former Expert

Re: Heating a Magnet

Post by kaylimasuda »

Hello there,
I apologize that there was no reply until now. The strength of a magnet should decrease as temperature rises, so you are correct is stating that there must be something wrong. The following is the explanation, which you probably already researched. "Magnets are made up of atoms. In normal environmental conditions, these atoms align between the poles and foster magnetism. When exposed to hotter conditions, the particles within the magnet are moving at an increasingly faster and sporadic rate. This jumbling confuses and misaligns the particles, causing the magnetism to be lost." Conversely, at colder temperatures would be moving a slower rate, strengthening the magnetism.
Regarding the problem, there is either a faulty control(s), there are limitations to the certainty tools used, and/or the time cooled/heated is not sufficient to collect accurate data. Again, sorry for the far too late response.

Sincerely,
Kayli Masuda

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”