magnetic levitation (maglev train)

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

joshm367

magnetic levitation (maglev train)

Post by joshm367 »

We purchased Magnet levitation Science Set Part#KITML. Our intent is to build a maglev train then test how many grams it can hold. We can't get a successful levitating train built. The magnets are attracting rather than repelling. The directions and video don't mention worrying about the poles when you put the magnets down. We did use a compass to determine where the poles were. I don't know what we're doing wrong. I would appreciate your help!
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: magnetic levitation (maglev train)

Post by tdaly »

Hi joshm36,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble getting your train to work. That sounds frustrating.

In order for the train to work, you will need to make sure that the poles of all the magnets on the track are pointing in the same direction, and you will need to make sure that the poles of all of the magnets on the train are pointing in the same direction. Furthermore, you will need to make sure that the poles of the magnets facing from the track toward the train are oriented the same way as the poles of the magnets on the train facing toward the track. If the magnets are not aligned in this way, the train will not work.

If you purchased the Science Buddies kit for this project, then as long as you used the self-adhesive on the back of the magnet strips to attach the magnets to the wooden block and the cardboard, then the poles of the magnets should be properly aligned.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”