finding iron in breakfast cereal

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

torivessicchio

finding iron in breakfast cereal

Post by torivessicchio »

Hi, my prek class and I did a science fair experiment today trying to see if breakfast cereals contained anything in them that would make it stick to a magnet (iron). I blended 1 cup of cereal to 1 cup of water to make a liquid. I poured the liquid in a plastic bottle that I taped a cow magnet to. i tested four different kinds of cereal. Nothing stuck to the magnet. Did I do something wrong? Should I try a different magnet? any insight would be great!
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: finding iron in breakfast cereal

Post by tdaly »

Hi torivessicchio,

Your experiment turned out the way I would expect it to. While it is true that the nutrition facts on cereals often list an amount of iron (e.g., 25 %DV), this does not mean that cereals will be magnetic. Our bodies, for example, also contain iron, but magnets do not stick to us. The way that atoms of ion bond to other elements controls whether or not an iron-bearing material will be magnetic For example, iron metal is magnetic because of the way its electrons can behave.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”