Help posing science fair question

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

tigerlily6200

Help posing science fair question

Post by tigerlily6200 »

Hi My mom is letting me use her account so she can monitor me. I want to do an experiment on eddy currents by dropping a neodymium magnet down through a non-metallic tube and a metallic tube to see which one allows the magnet to fall faster. I also want to experiment with two pieces of aluminum because my science book says it will have a dramatic effect.

I would like some advice on whether my question is enough or if I need to elaborate on it more? It is the 5th-grade science fair.

Question:
Will a (neodymium) magnet fall faster through a plastic tube or a metal tube?
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help posing science fair question

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Tiger Lily,
This sounds like a fun project to do. I suggest that you might want to read the section "Your Question" that is in the Science Buddies project guide:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ience-fair

This might help you decide if you need to expand your question and also help you to design your lab notebook for recording your observed data.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
cumulonimbus
Former Expert

Re: Help posing science fair question

Post by cumulonimbus »

Hi Tiger Lily,

It generally helps to use the format "How does (independent variable) affect (dependent variable)?" You should to stick to changing one variable, the type of tube, but you can modify your experiment. Check the link that MadelineB posted for more information.

Elena

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”