Simple Motor with Magnets

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

lcourter

Simple Motor with Magnets

Post by lcourter »

Hi! Tried this experiment with my son. I purchased batteries from Amazon so they were a different size but the same N42 rating. We could not get this to work. We tried D size batteries, different magnets we had on hand, tried changing the amount of magnets used and nothing seemed to work. It's so frustrating. I cannot figure out where we went wrong. We followed the experiment to the letter with the exception of the magnet size :? We are considering picking a different topic all together. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Simple Motor with Magnets

Post by bfinio »

Hi lcourter,

Can you provide a link to exactly which project you're trying? We have several different projects about building simple motors so it will help to know which one you're doing. If you're doing this project:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... background

one thing I can think of is that it's very important to buy BARE, or uninsulated, copper wire. Some copper wire has clear insulation on it that is almost impossible to see, but it will prevent electricity from flowing so the motor won't work at all. Did you buy the wire we link to from Amazon, or did you get it somewhere else?

-Ben
cumulonimbus
Former Expert

Re: Simple Motor with Magnets

Post by cumulonimbus »

Hi Icourter,

In step 7 of "preparing the experimental setup," are you using all magnets with the same polarity? If not, that could be the cause of the trouble. Other than that, as bfinio suggested, it could be a problem with one of your materials. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Elena

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”