Changing Constellations

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

claytonstudent512

Changing Constellations

Post by claytonstudent512 »

I am trying to help my son with this project and I am at a complete loss while trying to follow procedure, please help!! The site referenced for downloading star chart is down (or at least this feature is down). I've found other websites in which I can input my location and view star charts, however, I'm confused as to what exactly I'm looking at? My initial thoughts were that he would view chart for 01/01/18 @ 18:00, and then compare this with charts from 01/01/17, 12/01/17 & 01/02/18 (all at the 18:00). I'm just not sure of how or what data I should be using when trying to create a data table for analysis. My wife and I are in a disagreement as she feels we use the charts themselves to show difference, however, I'm under the impression that we would need to show actual data used for determining difference since it is a science project. Again, PLEASE HELP!!
cumulonimbus
Former Expert

Re: Changing Constellations

Post by cumulonimbus »

Hello claytonstudent512,

According to the procedure, you should view the star charts from 1/1/18 at 18:00, (or whatever the date and time you end up starting the project), 1/1/18 at 19:00, 1/2/18, 2/1/18, and 1/1/19 (these last three should be at 18:00). Then, print out the charts. You can choose a reference calculation such as Ursa Minor and record the position of its stars (although Polaris won't move since it's a pole star) for all of the star charts and see how those positions change from star chart to star chart. You could also try recording the star positions of stars from other well-known constellations if you want more data. That way, you can compare data (the star positions) from different dates in a data table and show differences as well as displaying the different star charts and pointing out the different positions of reference constellations. In short, you can use both the positions themselves and the star charts to show difference.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Elena

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”