Bombs Away! A Ping Pong Catapult

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Aquagirl

Bombs Away! A Ping Pong Catapult

Post by Aquagirl »

Hi.I am doing my science fair project titled: Bombs Away! A Ping Pong Catapult. My question for my project is, "Which launch angle will cause the ball to travel farthest?" My hypothesis is, "I predict that the larger the angle, the further the ping pong ball will travel."

My question for you is, I have to do a research paper along with my project. I am not sure what to do the research on or I guess what to familiarize myself with. Could you please guide me in the right direction.

I also have another question. I have to use metric measurements. I am not sure if angles and and degrees are in metric.

Thank you for your help and time!

Aquagirl
eedoherty
Former Expert

Re: Bombs Away! A Ping Pong Catapult

Post by eedoherty »

Hi AquaGirl,

Sounds like a fun project. For your research paper I would suggest exploring the physics surrounding a catapult. You should be able to find an introductory book on physics that talks about catapults, as they are a common thing to explore when introducing the laws of motion. Some of the math might get complex, but understanding the basic forces contributing to the trajectory of something thrown from a catapult might be a good place to start.

Here is a link that could help get you started: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/v ... Projectile

Depending on the rubric for your project you could even look into the history of catapults, how they were used and developed and improved over time.

Angles in degrees should be fine for the metric measurements as well.

Best,

Erin
Aquagirl

Re: Bombs Away! A Ping Pong Catapult

Post by Aquagirl »

Thank you so much!

Aquagirl

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”