Origami project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

bittiya

Origami project

Post by bittiya »

Hello,

My son 4th grader is trying to do a science fair project on Origami - but the requirement for the project is that how it will solve everyday life.
We thought of a topic = Origami - Is Art of Science, but now kind of running into an issue on how to create hypothesis for it? Please help?

Bitty
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Origami project

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Bitty and welcome to Science Buddies,
Perhaps you can get some ideas to expand on the origami idea by looking at the Science Buddies database of project ideas:

Here's a link where I searched for "origami"

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/search?v=pi&s=origami

If those projects don't help, search again with other search terms. There are over 1200 project ideas to choose from.

Please do not hesitate to come back with more questions!
rrv17
Former Student Expert

Post by rrv17 »

Hello,

If you want more options or ideas, I found a link when I typed: "origami used in science"https://www.popsci.com/article/science/ ... ons#page-2

I hope this sparks an idea for a hypothesis! Good luck!

-Regina
bittiya

Post by bittiya »

Hello Regina,

Thank you so much for your suggestion, i appreciate it.

He kind of did come up with an idea, which i thought will be easier, but not so much.

He decided to go with "How Origami is Therapeutic". There is lot of background/research available, but i am having hard time helping him, how to come up with a testable question and gather live data. I was hoping to focus on Autism and ADHD but not sure, where to go to get the data. Any ideas? '

Thank you,
Bitty
rrv17
Former Student Expert

Post by rrv17 »

Hello,

A question you can test is the intensity of their symptoms before and after the origami session (for example, if the person is hyperactive, do they become less hyperactive afterwards?). If it's quantifiable, such as heart rate or blood pressure (although I am not knowledgeable if ADHD or Autism has links to such things), it would be an easier variable to measure.

Also, if you want to gather live data, do you have any access to people who have autism and adhd? That is the only way I could come up with gathering such data, sorry.

I hope this helps, however! Good luck!
-Regina
bittiya

Post by bittiya »

Regina,

I must say, you have been very helpful guiding us through the project. We are coming along with this project. I cannot wait to see, how this project turns out. We have to present this on November 7.

Bitty

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”