fallen arches

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

lisasmccall

fallen arches

Post by lisasmccall »

We want to make sure we understand the independent and dependent variable for the Fallen Arches project.
The independent variable is the weight being applied to the eggshells and the dependent variable is the strength of the eggshell arches. Is this correct? Please verify Thank you
We are trying to graph the information on the x and y axis according to the teacher the independent variable should plotted on the x axis and the dependent variable is plotted on the y axis.
lisasmccall

Need help

Post by lisasmccall »

Did project fallen arches need to verify variables. Independent variable is the weight added to the eggshells. Dependent variable is the eggshells. Please confirm if it is correct.
Also need to place the independent variable on the x axis and the dependent on the y axis of a graph. Thank you

Moderator note: I have merged this post with your previous post asking the same question. Science Buddies guidelines request that you not post the same question in more than one forum. Thank you.
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: fallen arches

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Lisa McCall,

You are correct! One way to think about making the graph for your results is the graph is showing the effect of the independent variable (horizontal axis) on the dependent variable (the "response", vertical axis).

Here is a link to the section on "variables" in the Science Buddies project guide.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... /variables

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have more questions.
lisasmccall

Post by lisasmccall »

Thank you so much! I have one more question. For the Fallen arches egg project, is the independent variable the weight of the books and magazines applied to the eggs? Would the dependent variable be the arched eggshell? At least this is what I think. I am able to manipulate the weight by adding books.
MadelineB

Post by MadelineB »

Hi Lisa McCall,

The dependent variable is whatever measure (observation) you observed for each level of your dependent variable. So, as you were adding weight/mass on top of the eggs, what were you observing?

And, as you are adding the weight, you might want to be careful to add smaller and smaller weights, so you can fine-tune the final amount!

Hope this helps!
lisasmccall

Post by lisasmccall »

Good Afternoon,

As a follow up, I have attached image of the graph. Please help me determine what the independent variable and the dependent variable are based on the graph. I feel that based on the graph the independent variable is the eggshell set and the dependent variable is the mass.
Attachments
Doc - Jan 2 2019 - 1-48 PM.pdf
(875.05 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
MadelineB

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Lisa McCall,
Thank you for posting the very nice graph! Don't be confused by the graph! The variable which you can change/manipulate is the weight that you place on the eggs. So that is the independent variable regardless of whether you display that variable on the horizontal axis (x-axis) or the vertical axis (y-axis). So in your graph, you are showing the weight at which the arches fell, for each of your 3 sets. If you want to show the independent variable on the horizontal axis, you could make a graph that starts at some low weight and then at selected weights (maybe corresponding to the weight of 1 book, 2 books, 3 books) show, on the vertical axis, the number of sets that "fell" at each selected weight.

You could use smaller books or magazines for the last couple of "tests" so that you are adding just a small amount of additional weight until finally the arches fall!

But, the graph you've shown is also fine as is! Unless of course the teacher prefers something else. Let us know if you have more questions!

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”