Science Fair Category Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Dominique19

Science Fair Category Question

Post by Dominique19 »

My son (2nd Grader) is not sure what category to select for his Science Fair project. His question is "What heating source melts snow the fastest?" (He tested stove, burner, hairdryer, microwave - and timed until a set amount snow turned into water.)

He is thinking perhaps Chemistry, Earth & Environmental Science, Material Science, or Physics.

I appreciate your assistance! Below are the descriptions of those categories in our Science Fair Packet.

Chemistry: Elements, crystals, expansion of materials, acids and bases, reactivity.
Research: How does water turn into gas?
Testable Question: Does temperature affect evaporation?

Earth and Environmental Science: Weather, fossils, volcanoes, earthquakes, erosion, ocean
currents, air pollution, recycling, water ecology, wet lands, ecosystems.
Research: What causes erosion?
Testable Question: What temperature of water causes erosion faster?

Material Science: Properties, Strength, Absorption, Insulating Properties, Flexibility of Materials etc..
Research: How does paper absorb water?
Testable Question: Which paper towel is the strongest?

Physics: Light, machines, motion (kinetic energy), heat combustion.
Research: Why do things float?
Testable Question: Which liquid has more buoyancy?
rlwilliams06
Former Expert

Re: Science Fair Category Question

Post by rlwilliams06 »

Hi!

I feel like your son's science project alines more with material science since the research question and testable question are very similar to melting the snow.

I hope this helps! Let us know if there is anything else you need.
Dominique19

Post by Dominique19 »

The chair of the Science Fair at our school responded to our category question as well:
"It seems to me the core of this project is energy and changing states of matter, which is physics."

We are unsure whether the project should be in physics or material science. Does anyone else have an opinion? Thanks!!
Dominique19

Post by Dominique19 »

My son must select his category by the end of Wed 1/15. Does anyone have advice on the category between physics or material science? Thanks!

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”