Flour Type and Density Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Made4more

Flour Type and Density Question

Post by Made4more »

Hi, I am working on my science fair project. I want to test various flour types in a muffin recipe to see how it changes the result. This is based on the idea, the Fluffiest Muffin: Flour Type and Muffin Density. I have a muffin recipe and I know that we only change one variable when doing the experiment - the flour type. In researching how to convert the ingredients to metric, I came across an online conversion calculator that shows different amounts (grams) for the different flours. So, do I adjust the grams for each flour type, or do I only adjust the ingredient? If I don’t adjust the amount, is that what this experiment will test? I think the reason the conversion tool shows al the different types of flours is because there is a lot of variation in each and you need to adjust the amount in order for recipes to work correctly. Any advice? Is changing the flour type the only variable I can have, or can I adjust the amounts also?

Thank you so much for your help!

Grace
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Flour Type and Density Question

Post by audreyln »

Grace,

It sounds like your question is if you should control for weight of flour or volume of flour while you vary only the flour type?

I think you could conduct the experiment in either way - both involve controlling for all variables except one. How do you plan to measure the "fluffiness" of the muffins? Will you put the same volume of batter in each muffin cup? Or the same weight of batter?

If you will control the volume of batter in each muffin cup then I would suggest holding the volume of flour constant. If you will control the weight of batter in each muffin cup then I would suggest holding the weight of flour constant.

Either way this sounds like a fun and delicious project!

Audrey
Made4more

Post by Made4more »

Thank you so much for your guidance. That was exactly what I was trying to ask. I am measuring all my ingredients by weight in order to maintain a higher control across all the batches. I was also planning to control the amount of batter in each muffin cup by weighing each one, so your advice is great.

Do you have any advice for measuring the volume of each muffin after they have baked? Since the shape will be irregular, can I take measurements of the length, width, and height? Or do I need to submerge in water?

Thank you again for your help!

Grace
Made4more

Post by Made4more »

Hi, I wanted to check back to see if you could offer any advice on how to measure the density of the muffins. I plan to weigh each muffin, so I will have the mass to calculate density. How could I calculate volume? I am planning to measure the length, widths and height of the muffins. Can I use those measurements to calculate the volume? I am only in 4th grade, so I haven’t studied the density calculation yet.

Do you have any other advice for evaluating the muffins? I plan to observe the color and overall appearance, measure the muffins (weight, dimensions), and also do a taste comparison. I’m just not sure if I should use taste as a comparison since it is subjective.

Thank you for any advice you can share!
Made4more

How to calculate density of a muffin?

Post by Made4more »

Hi, I am dding my science fair project on different types of flour and the effect they have on a muffin recipe. I wanted to see if you could offer any advice on how to measure the density of the muffins. I plan to weigh each muffin, so I will have the mass to calculate density. How could I calculate volume? I am planning to measure the length, widths and height of the muffins. Can I use those measurements to calculate the volume? Or does that only work if the object is a regular shape? I am only in 4th grade, so I haven’t studied the density calculation much yet. I read a little about submerging an item in water, but I'm not sure if I should do that with muffins.

Do you have any other advice for evaluating the muffins? I plan to observe the color and overall appearance, measure the muffins (weight, dimensions), and also do a taste comparison. I want to include taste as a comparison, but not a primary part of the comparison since it is subjective.

Thank you for any advice you can share!

Grace

Moderator note: I merged this post with your previous posts. Please keep your posts on the same topic together so the expert who has been helping you can more easily see that you have follow-up questions. Thanks!

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”