Create and View Your Own 3D Models in Virtual Reality

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

MissMattieLiz

Create and View Your Own 3D Models in Virtual Reality

Post by MissMattieLiz »

Hi! My name is Mattie and I'm working with a fifth grade student in Miss Domo's SCOPES class at Unioto Elementary. He would like to do a science project surrounding virtual reality. The classroom itself can provide a VR VIVE headset, a computer, and classmates to help him with his experiment.

Our only issue is that we've encountered a block in the project he's chosen. He's very tech savvy and wants to do the project I listed in the subject line, "Create and View Your Own 3D Models in Virtual Reality." We've tried some of the programs provided in the project itself, but we can't seem to find one that's easily navigable and allows us to use the designed landscape with the VIVE headset. His desire is to do the project with the idea of making his classmates feel immersed in the world he builds or to make them feel really small or really big. If you have any ideas that might prove simpler (science fair is here in just a week or two, unfortunately), we'll take any advice we can get!

Thanks so much!

~ Mattie

[Administrator note: Project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... al-reality]
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Create and View Your Own 3D Models in Virtual Reality

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi Mattie - It is great that your student is interested in virtual reality! The project he selected is an "Abbreviated Project Idea" at Science Buddies. This is different from our other projects in that it doesn't offer a full procedure for the student. These projects are for students who want to develop their own procedure based on the idea.

All of the tools listed may not work with VIVE and developing a test for VIVE may be more difficult. Unity, I believe, is an example of one that can be used. (You can find out more on the Unity site or by searching for VIVE development with Unity.) Others tools on the list may work, but you may find that they don't support headsets like VIVE at the free level. (You would need to check the product information for each software application to see what is supported. SketchUp, for example, is used for demonstration in the project and is a good choice for someone trying this for the first time. At the free level, however, you won't be able to use VIVE.)

Your student might want to scale back and explore the kinds of creation that can be done with these tools and test with a simpler viewer. A viewer like Google Cardboard that holds a phone is a good way to start with development of VR content.

This project is one you and the student may want to look at (especially given the timeline): https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... d-pictures

I hope this information helps.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”