Formulating Scientific Method Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

japanime123

Formulating Scientific Method Question

Post by japanime123 »

My third grade daughter chose the "From Brine to Beverage: Solar-Powered Salt Removal" project. I am having a difficult time helping her to phrase an appropriate Scientific Method Experiment Question. Would the following question meet science fair criteria: "How can fresh drinking water be made from saltwater by using solar power and the water cycle?" Also, would this experiment fall into the Scientific Method Experiment or an Engineering Design?
Thanking you in advance, C.C.
IlI
Former Student Expert

Re: Formulating Scientific Method Question

Post by IlI »

Hi japanime123,

Your scientific method experiment question seems a bit too broad to me. The same question would apply to any salt removal method. Tune it so that it's more focused on this specific project, maybe by bringing in the water cycle. As for your second question, this will be a Scientific Method Experiment.

Hope this helps,
IlI
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Formulating Scientific Method Question

Post by AmyCowen »

In addition to the advice IlI provided, you might have your student look again at the "Objective" part of the project (on the Summary tab). If you think about the objective, you can see what question is being explored in this project. That may help.

Amy
Science Buddies

[Note - for others reading this thread, the project can be found here: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... al#summary ]

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”