what materials block the wifi signal project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Duffie

what materials block the wifi signal project

Post by Duffie »

Hello, I am trying to help my 5th grade daughter with her Science Fair project, and I am stuck. She is doing the project what materials block the wifi signal, and we have everything set up to do the experiment, although I don't understand how to use the wifi indicator that they said to download. We have a Mac and I just don't understand how to use it. please help a mom that is pulling out her hair and going crazy.
Thank you
Angie

[Administrator note: I have split your question into a topic of its own to help you get the best input from Experts]
[Project url: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ifi-signal ]
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: what materials block the wifi signal project

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi Angie - I am sorry to hear you are having trouble using the Wi-Fi analyzer tool you installed. It seems that the tool listed in the materials may no longer be available. If you search in the app store for Wi-Fi Analyzer software, there are many options. You really want one that measures Wi-Fi signal strength in dBm. (With one of these tools installed, your student will be looking at the dBm measurement under different circumstances as she blocks the signal in the experiment.)

This will depend on your Mac OS, but you might also try this on the Mac itself. Hold the option key and click on the Wi-Fi symbol. You may see dBm measurements in the RSSI entry. (That measurement is what she needs. It should change as she experiments with the materials.)

I hope this helps.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”