Need help with the final water level in the glass tube

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

czeihne

Need help with the final water level in the glass tube

Post by czeihne »

Due to Covid, exercises were given to be brought home. I don't know if we can compute if there's no given measurement at all.

The diagram shows a U-tube. The tube is connected to a closed glass sphere at one end. The other end of the tube is left open. the tube is partially filled with water as shown in the diagram. Then the glass sphere is heated with a hair dryer

Ill attach the diagram below
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hicPI3 ... sp=sharing
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Need help with the final water level in the glass tube

Post by rmarz »

czeihne - I'm not sure I understand the question you have. From the diagram you provided, it would seem that as the sphere is heated, the volume of air would expand, the pressure in the sphere would increase and you would see that the water level in the tube would move up from the 'X' position to another height you would label 'Y'. The only questions I could see on the diagram asks to explain what happened. You could also calculate the pressure in the sphere by measuring the height of the water column relative to the level in the sphere and atmospheric pressure. Hope this helps.

Rick Marz

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”