Mechanical engineering

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Jestin

Mechanical engineering

Post by Jestin »

My six years old son had a two weeks’ vacation. So we decided to do a small project. I took the real wheel set of a broken toy quad bike to make a tricycle which is powered by a 12V car battery.
I decided to make a slight modification to the wheel set when attaching it to the frame of the tricycle. In the quad bike the motor and gear set are firmly attached to the frame. In the tricycle, I didn't screw the motor and gear set to the frame. Instead I attached it to a spring which allows the motor and gear set to move around the axil to some degrees in response to varying force.
My gut feeling is that this design has some mechanical advantage over the other. As you watched in the video the tricycle negotiated the obstacles and bumpy up hills better.
I have no qualification in mechanics or background. I don't know whether this design facilitated the motor and gear set to generate an increase in torque. Or the springs simply acted as clutch or differentials or both?
Or simply I am imagining things?
Please comment.

https://youtu.be/iFCi0FawYn0
Thanking you
Jestin
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Mechanical engineering

Post by rmarz »

Jestin - You will probably get some feedback that this forum is to assist students, parents and educators in matters involving science fair and similar projects. I noticed you listed your occupation as teacher, with no credentials in mechanical engineering. From the looks of this design and execution, I'd hazard you may be a professor of mechanical engineering at Caltech or MIT. I won't comment on your questions, as I believe you understand well the benefits of the "limited time constant torque storage system" you accidentally designed. Well done!

Rick Marz

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”