Reading Multimeter

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

SarahMK

Reading Multimeter

Post by SarahMK »

Hi!

I’m helping my 5th grader with a fruit battery experiment where we are testing different foods for voltage, current and resistance, but I’m not good at reading the amps and resistance on our multimeter.

Can anyone please tell me how to write out these readings? Thanks in advance!!
Attachments
mm3.pdf
Meter
(283.57 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Reading Multimeter

Post by rmarz »

SarahMK - The photos are helpful, but the meter is a bit confusing. It appears to be an auto-ranging type but the readings on the display are confusing. You did determine that there is a "COM" - black connection on the meter, but 3 others depending on the value to be measured, a) 10 Amp high current, b) mA medium current, and c) a general input for volts, ohms, Hz etc. In photo's 1 and 3, you are measuring current and the display seems to be correct in measuring 61,1 uA on the first photo and 653 uA on the 3rd. I'm very confused by the resistance measurement in photo 2. It appears that you have the test leads in the correct socket, but the display seems to indicates 'volts' instead of 'ohms'. That's very confusing. The ohmmeter seems to also test diode conduction as well. I recommend trying to 'borrow' a more conventional multimeter from a friend or the school for more confident readings.

Rick Marz
SarahMK

Post by SarahMK »

Thanks Rick,

Yes! Very confused. The uA kept switching decimal places maybe to mA without me noting the symbol change?

Also instructions for Ohms said to switch the function button because Ohms read 0. So I don’t even know what unit that is.

Boy thank you for the suggestion.
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bfinio »

Hi SarahMK,

Just chiming in in case you haven't seen it, we have a very extensive multimeter tutorial that may help: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... multimeter

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”