What are the independent and dependent variables?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ScienceStudents
Project Question: What type of honey crystallizes fastest?
Project Due Date: April
Project Status: I am conducting my research

What are the independent and dependent variables?

Post by ScienceStudents »

The question for the project is "What type of honey crystallizes fastest?". We are using 3-4 diff types of honey. Will have 4 containers for honey. Will have honey only in first container, 1tsp of water added in #2 container, 2tsp water added in #3 container and 3tsp of water to #4 container. The containers will be put in the freezer. Will check every 2 minutes for any crystallization. Once crystallization is seen, will check the temp of the honey mixture and note the amount of time it took. We are not sure what the dependent and independent variables are. Is it true that you can only have 1 independent variable????
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: What are the independent and dependent variables?

Post by audreyln »

Here is a great resource for learning more about variables:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... bles.shtml

Your experiment should only have one independent variable to test the effect of that one variable alone. If you had more than one independent variable you would not know which one caused the result.

Audrey
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Audrey gives excellent advice. You could have more than one independent variable, but I don't recommend it for an elementary school project. I would stay with one variable. Is there a reason you are putting different amounts of water in each jar? That is a variable, along with the different types of honey. Based on your experimental question, I recommend keeping only the different types of honey as your independent variable, which means each jar should have the same amount of water.

Your dependent variable will be what you are measuring.

I hope this helps. Certainly write back if you have more questions!

Cheers,
Deana
osteward
Project Question: My 5th grader is doing his first science fair project. Can his title and question be the same thing? "Which Ball Bounces Highest"
Project Due Date: Jan 17th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by osteward »

The independent variable is something you can alter. The dependent variable result is based on the change of something else.
For example: The ball bounces higher because you changed the type of ball. The type of ball doesn’t change because of how high it bounces.

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”