Surface area

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

LEXYGIRL1129
Project Question: How do I find the surface area of shapes that are not regular geometrical shapes? (ie: star, heart, fish, and lime slice ice cube)
Project Due Date: May 29, 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Surface area

Post by LEXYGIRL1129 »

I need to figure out how to determine the surface area of different shapes (ie: heart, star, fish, and lime slice) that are not "normal" geometrical shapes. I know the length, width, and height of the objects but can't figure out the surface area.
raytrent
Former Expert

Re: Surface area

Post by raytrent »

The volume is easy, just displace water with the object.

I don't know any simple way to determine the surface area of non-geometric objects in general, other than to 3d scan the object into a CAD program and have it calculate it for you.

You could estimate by drawing triangles on the object and calculating the area of the triangles.

What project is this for?
../ray\..
hhemken
Former Expert

Post by hhemken »

I agree with ray. An easy way is if you can draw it accurately on paper and subdivide it into simple shapes like right triangles, rectangles, or circle sections and add up the sub-areas.
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum
arunmathew98
Former Expert
Project Question: Community Service for High School Graduation
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by arunmathew98 »

Here's what I would Do.. Similar to Ray, I would Break it up to ,not just Triangles, but other figures too. say a Star, you could break it up into 5 (im guessin :P) triangular prisms and the remaining part would become a pentagon(again, Im guessing :P).. in the end add them up...

or just as Ray said Use CAD. or ask someone who knows how to.

hope it helps :)

Return to “Grades K-5: Math and Computer Science”