CD Burning

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jjj22
Project Question: CD Burning
Project Due Date: January 18, 2008
Project Status: Not applicable

CD Burning

Post by jjj22 »

I am working on a project that requires a photo, music file, or folder about 100 MB in size. I have saved several pictures that totaled 100 MB in size, when I saved that information to a CD I measured the space that was used. My problem is that when I copy the pictures and there are two sets of pictures and I "save as" the information is then saved to the CD; but when I measured the space that was used on the disk it was the same as the first CD that I did. I'm not for sure if I'm doing the project right or not. Please help me! The information saved is suppose to get larger (100 MB, 200 MB, 300, MB, 400 MB, etc...) But if the CD is still showing that there is 100 MB of information on the disk regardless of the number of times that the information is copied. If this is what suppose to happen, please explain to me why this is happening?

Thank you for your help.
Dr. Bruce Weaver
Former Expert

Re: CD Burning

Post by Dr. Bruce Weaver »

Perhaps you're being caught by some clever software that recognizes that you're trying to copy the same files onto the disk. If it is in the same folder, you'd have the not permitted case of two files with the same name in the same folder. If this is the case, create different folders or rename the files (e.g., picture1, picture2, etc.)
Wm. Bruce Weaver, Ph.D.
Monterey Institute for Research in Astronomy
sunbeam
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: CD Burning

Post by sunbeam »

I agree with Bruce. Here's something you can try:

1) After you burn the 100 MB CD, go into the folder on your computer and select all (type ctrl-a)
2) Copy all (type ctrl-c)
3) Click outside the files so that they are de-selected, and paste them (type ctrl-v)

In Microsoft windows, this will create a copy of all those files with the name "Copy of photo"-- that way it is automatically renaming it for you. Now you will have a 200 MB folder that you can burn to the CD. You can repeat this process to get 300, 400, etc, but you have to select more carefully because the folder will now have more than 100 MB of files in it.

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions.
Laura

Return to “Grades K-5: Math and Computer Science”