Blu Ray / Blu Ray An Experts Advice please

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

dodger
Project Question: Investigating Data With Fonts
Project Due Date: Due date is March.6/2008
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Blu Ray / Blu Ray An Experts Advice please

Post by dodger »

Hi,
Can any smart person link me to a website That you think that will help me on my blu ray Research. And I need more than three experts advice and i would like a person who has studied this matter.
Everyone can post but i need 3-5 experts advice.
Info and links please.
Thanks to everone who contributes to this post
:wink:
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Blu Ray / Blu Ray An Experts Advice please

Post by tdaly »

dodger,

I'm not an expert on blu ray per-se, but I'm sure that someone with more expertise than I have will chime in. In the meantime, here are some links that talk about Blu-ray: http://www.blu-ray.com/info/; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc; and http://www.blu-raydisc.com/bluray_site.htm (take a look at the "What is Blu-Ray" and "FAQs."

All of these sites came up after a quick Google search. Try your own and see what you can find!
All the best,
Terik
dodger

Post by dodger »

Hi,
Is a journal something like a log book?
Or two different things.

Dodger
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

dodger,

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to a journal you would keep about your science project? Keeping a journal (sometimes called lab notebook or lab book) is a good idea when you're doing a science project. In it you should write down everything you do related to your project, including your research, your data, your experimental design, etc.

A good reference about lab notebooks is this ScienceBuddies page: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tebook.pdf.

If this doesn't answer your question or if you have more questions, please let us know!

Good luck!
All the best,
Terik
dodger

Post by dodger »

Hi,
so they are two different things. Because I'm maybe going to city science fair and i need to know that. So a log book is something like a diary of what you do. And a journal is someting that you put your data and everything. In your journal do you include all your rough copy information. Is that true if not please correct me.
Thanks
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

dodger,

They are not two different things; your log book and journal are in the same book. In that book you should record both what you do and your data and everything. Everything that you've mentioned should go in one book.
All the best,
Terik
dodger

Post by dodger »

Hi,
Do you think Blu-Ray research is good for a grade five student.And by the way how come other experts are not looking into my topic and posting
Thanks
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

dodger wrote:Hi,
Do you think Blu-Ray research is good for a grade five student.And by the way how come other experts are not looking into my topic and posting
Thanks
Hi dodger!

Usually experts don't reply to a post that another expert has answered. I think Terik did a great job finding some cool websites for you and answering your question about log books. Is there something else you need?

I'm a little confused though about your project. You have many different project threads open on multiple forums. I know some of these posts were about your older brother, younger brother, and a friend. But what exactly is your project? Are you working with blu-ray? Are you doing the data storage project? I thought you were doing something with seeds or crystals.

If you could provide some more information about which project you are doing, and what exactly you need help with, I'm sure people will be glad to help. For example, several experts here understand modern data storage (CDs, DVDs, etc) very well, but they aren't specifically blu-ray experts. If you have a specific question about, say, how lasers read a disk, you could ask, and someone could answer. But, probably they wouldn't answer your post if you ask for just a blu-ray expert. The more specific your question, the better the answer you'll get!

On last thing... as was mentioned on another of your threads, personal information cannot be posted on the forums. This isn't just for students, but also for the experts. So, if you need the personal information of 3-5 experts, or for us to sign a form saying we spoke with you, we cannot do that.

I look forward to hearing about your project.

Louise
dodger

Post by dodger »

Hi,
Great Question I was doing about data storage but then some one gave me an advice about doing Blu-ray .So i said great since it was new release so I'm doing about Blu-ray.
It would be nice if you can realate me to a website that has graphs and data.
And do you think this is good to fill up a normail display board. Please post back so i know that you read it so i can delete it thanks
Benefits of Blu-Ray
Some of the benefits of Blu-ray are
 Skip to any part in any thing your watching
 You can edit or Re order programs that are already on the disc.
 Record any program you desire while watching another on the same disc.
 Have Access to a website to download subtitles and extra features.
 Discs robustness. The Blu-Ray high technology allows it to resist scratches and other minor things.
 An extended industry support from brands you use and trust.90% of major Hollywood studios, basically all leading consumer electronics companies. Four of the best computer brands also the worlds largest music companies all support Blu-ray
 Large capacity memory available anywhere (25GB single layer/50GB dual layer) Blu-Ray disc delivers more than 4 times of the maximum capacity of now a days DVD.

Introduction
In 1997,a new technology developed that brought digital sound and video into homes, businesses all over the globe. It was called DVD, and it changed the movie industry.
The industry was set again by another revolution with the introduction of Blu-Ray Disc (BD) in 2006 with its high storage capacity (BD)can contain and play back large quantities of High definition (HD) video and audio, as well as pictures, information and other digital content.

About DVD
A current one sided standard DVD can hold about 4.7GB (gigabytes) of Data. That’s almost the size of an average two-hour, standard HD with a couple extra features. But a HD movie ,which obtains a clearer image, takes up about 5x more bandwidth and therefore needs a disc with about five times more storage . As TV theatres and movie studios make the move to HD, customers are going to need playback systems with a lot of storage area.

Why The Name Blu-ray
Blu-ray got its name by the way it reads the disc. And uses a bluish-violet laser to read and write information. So that’s why the named the first part of the name. They got the rest of the name “ray” as the optical laser it uses. According to the Blu-ray Association the spelling of Blu without the “e” is not a mistake. The manufacturer an everyday word cannot be trademarked.
Here is the spelling for the following
The full name is Blu-ray Disc and isn’t like this Blue-ray disk. (Incorrect spelling)
If Blu-ray disc is too long for you it is possible to shorten the word to Blu-ray not Blu-Ray. (Incorrect capitalization) or Blue-ray (incorrect spelling)
If you abbreviate the name it would be <BD> not <BR> or <BRD> (which is wrong abbreviation)
Who Invented Blu-ray?
Nobody really invented Blu-ray it was made by Blu-ray Disc Association. Which basically consists top leading consumer electronics, personal computers and media manufacturers with more than 180 member companies all around the globe. The board of directors currently consists of:
Apple Computer, Inc.
Dell Inc.
Hewlett Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
TDK Corporation
Thomson Multimedia
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures
Warner Bros. Entertainment

5 Troubling words
OAR-original aspect radio
BD- Blu-ray disc
Dynamic Range compression- Dynamic Range compression a way for changing audio to make loudest and the lowest volume.
Artifact- if you think in technology wise artefact means an unnatural effect not present in original before being processed or changed.
Bandwidth describes the rate of which frequency cuts off from its highest point to its lowest point.
Question
What is Blue-ray, how does it work and is it worth it to buy a Blu-ray disc player?
Hypnosis
I now don’t have a clue of what Blu-ray is but I see it in stores, I think it works something like DVD and I don’t think it is worth buying a Blu-ray disc player since it is somehow the same.
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

dodger wrote:Hi,

It would be nice if you can realate me to a website that has graphs and data.
Graphs and data? How to make graphs or graphs about blu-ray. I'm not really sure what you are asking for.
And do you think this is good to fill up a normail display board. Please post back so i know that you read it so i can delete it thanks
First, I don't think it is a good idea to delete your posts. Other experts won't be able to read it and comment. Plus, the discussion gets confused if one person goes back and deletes parts of the thread.

This display board seem to be more an advertisement for blu-ray and not a science fair project. Many of your benefits listed are the same for CDs or DVDs. The main difference is the amount of storage space and perhaps the material the disks are made of. Information about spelling is good to know, but is not really related to a scientific question.
Blu-ray got its name by the way it reads the disc. And uses a bluish-violet laser to read and write information.
Have you considered this project:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ?from=Home

It relates to your comment above about the type of laser and your comments about storage density. It is a hard project for a k-5 grader, but I'm sure you could do it with some help.
Question
What is Blue-ray, how does it work and is it worth it to buy a Blu-ray disc player?
This isn't really an appropriate question for a science fair. While it is interesting to understand how technology works (and can help you come up with a project) you need a question where you can measure something. Your hypothesis should relate to the quantity you measure. There is a great sciencebuddies page on these topics.
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml

Why don't you take a look at them, and then post back here with some thoughts about some experiments you might want to do on data storage disks. For example, perhaps you might want to compare some property of a blu-ray disc compared to a CD or DVD. This would require buying disks of each type and then testing them. For example, you mentioned that blu-ray discs are more durable. What does this mean? You could test this by exposing the different types of disks to chemicals and seeing which one was least damaged. This is only one example of an experiment you could do. I'm sure you can think of something really exciting. Once you have a few ideas, and you've reviewed the scientific method, please post back, and we will help you design your experiment. Sometimes teachers also have specific rules about the number of variables and trials that must be performed. If you have information like that, it is help for us to know about it.

Good luck!
Louise

Return to “Grades K-5: Math and Computer Science”