The Birthday Paradox

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ceriotti
Project Question: The Birthday Paradox-in a random gathering of 23 people, there is a 50% chance that two people will have the same birthday. Is this really true?
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am just starting

The Birthday Paradox

Post by ceriotti »

Our science teacher is concerned that the birthday paradox experiment on the website is more of a survey, and it needs a larger sample than 23 persons in a group.

She is concerned this birthday paradox cannot use the scientific method to test the topic...she asked how?

Can you help us answer the scientific method protion and minimize or eliminate her concerns?
rgoelmsft
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: The Birthday Paradox

Post by rgoelmsft »

I'm sorry to say, but I agree with your teacher. The birthday paradox is an interesting thing to study if you like mathematics and probability, but it doesn't make a great science project. Especially if you are required to use the scientific method. There's no real experimentation involved where you are changing an independent variable to see how the dependent variable will be affected. If it's not too late, I would suggest picking a different topic. (Sorry!)

Return to “Grades K-5: Math and Computer Science”