META-ANALYSIS

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

I_M_Ireland

META-ANALYSIS

Post by I_M_Ireland »

I am currently in a doctoral program in a small field/small school. I believe my capstone project might help me gain access to a full time job in research so I am working very hard. However, my school is not working hard. In fact, they are not helping at all. I was told, "No" on every project idea I came up with. I finally got permission to move forward with a Meta-Analysis for animal study with spinal cord injury when comparing electric therapy. That same week, my teacher left the school. I have not been provided a replacement teacher to talk to and I was told to give up and do a case study. I refuse to give up on completing a meta analysis.

I have done a lot of learning, googling, researching, to learn how to complete the meta-analysis. I am still struggling because I believe I lack the understanding in math to know how to use the computer programs. The research papers are stating p<001 or 005, and I can see the charts all read a gap between the experimental group vs control vs injury group. But the analysis states the therapy does not work. I fear it is user error and not a therapy that does not work.

Since my school is not willing to help me, where can I find help? If I finish this project, I think it will be the first of it's kind from the USA. I desperately want to create a project that is worth publication.

Any help would be amazing!
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: META-ANALYSIS

Post by MadelineB »

Hello I M Ireland,
Science Buddies is for students in grades K-12 who are doing science projects. The experts here are focused on helping students in that age range, so unfortunately, we can't help you.

It looks like you need to figure out how to balance what your school and adviser suggest versus your own interest.
Best wishes to you.
I_M_Ireland

Re: META-ANALYSIS

Post by I_M_Ireland »

I refuse to be told to lower my standards and be a "good girl and listen" because my school does not have any qualified teachers that understand science. Their advise is embarrassing and it is gender specific.

All I need is a 15 minute conversation to make sure I am using the correct math programs. For THREE months I have been asking for help with simple verification or a suggestion. I am not going to roll over and do a case study on how to make someone fall asleep. I did not pay 300,000.00 to come to the end of my education to feel this bad about my self. I have gone to the point of asking random strangers if they know anything about stats. I am reading books, learning computer programs. I am sure one person will know the exact analyst set that I need. I will keep asking. I have the research done. I have the data. I just need to know the best formula to use.

Even since my original post I discovered the acceptable program called web plot digitizer so I can verify all the data and standard deviations are correct. That is one area that is completed.

Someone on this planet will be able to help. We will get this published.

Thank you for you time

Return to “Careers in Science”