Biological Engineering vs Biomedical Engineering

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

spacemed4827

Biological Engineering vs Biomedical Engineering

Post by spacemed4827 »

Dear Sci Buddies :D

Hope everyone is doing amazing,

I am in my senior year and looking to study in Canada. I am torn between studying biomedical engineering or biological engineering. Which one is more biology-orientated rather than mechanical, and what kind of careers can I do with such majors.

Personally I see biological engineering more interesting, but what is your advice?

Furthermore are their oppurtnties for research in those fields? How would I have a research and innovation based career?

Thank you,

Ryann,
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Biological Engineering vs Biomedical Engineering

Post by MadelineB »

Hello and thank you for your patience waiting for a response to your post!
First, I am neither a biological nor a biomedical engineer, but I can offer you some ideas for researching these two professions for yourself.

One place to start would be the colleges or universities which you are considering attending after you graduate from high school. Look to see if they have specific departments or interdisciplinary programs in either of these fields. Then look at the course requirments for each program, paying particular attention to labs and internship opportunities.

ScienceBuddies also have some resources that might help you:

In the Science Careers tab (see above), this is listed under the Health tab:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #education

And, you can use the search bar in the top right and search for "biological engineer" (I found 2000 items) and "biomedical engineer" (another 2000, although there's probably overlap).

Browsing through these items might at least help you make sense of the course requirements that you find at the universities you are thinking of attending.

Do not hesitate to ask more questions!
cindyrendy

Re: Biological Engineering vs Biomedical Engineering

Post by cindyrendy »

Hi, since you think biological engineering more interesting, i suggest you go for it. Anyway, if you have interest in it, things may be easier.

Return to “Careers in Science”