Microbiology

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

lainekate

Microbiology

Post by lainekate »

Hi! I am conducting a research about the resistance of Pseudomonas aeruginosa to disinfectants. But I can't find a suitable disinfectant to use that will not inhibit all of the bacteria since I also have to associate the resuts to its cross-resistance to antibiotics. Can you give me some suggestions? Thank you!
lainekate

Microbiology (Pseudomonas aeruginosa)

Post by lainekate »

Hi there! Can someone explain the mechanism on how Pseudomonas aeruginosa resists inhibition by disinfectants and antibiotics? Thank you!
DrJay
Former Expert

Re: Microbiology

Post by DrJay »

Regarding your question about disinfectant that will inhibit Pseudomonas but not other bacteria, I don't think there is one. Disinfectants are designed specifically to be broad spectrum in order to kill as many bacteria as possible without knowing what the bacteria are.
Regarding your question on mechanisms of resistance, Pseudomonas resists antibiotics by at least 2 different mechanisms: (1) producing a pump protein that pumps the antibiotic out of the cell as fast as it gets in, (2) producing an enzyme that inactivates cephalosporin antibiotics. The first mechanism may also help in resistance to disinfectants, but I'm not sure about that.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”