Question biotech bioemed microbio or genetics

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Andrewisac
Project Question: Biotechnology and genetic engineering
Project Due Date: No specific date
Project Status: I am just starting

Question biotech bioemed microbio or genetics

Post by Andrewisac »

I am a high school graduate and i am about to apply for a university this year
I ve watched and read many things about genetics and applications on animals an plants by cloning them , transgenics and nuclear transfer ,
I am pretty interested in this but I dont know which kind of faculties study genetics and all of its application and focus on genetics as the infrastructure for their studies!

I dont know where to apply , Biotechnology or Biomedical or micro biology or etc ?
What to choose and apply for ?
Ggipunjab
Project Question: I am a student and doing the civil engineering and i have some queries about my study..
Project Due Date: 17 july
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Question biotech bioemed microbio or genetics

Post by Ggipunjab »

You want to know about the Biotechnology or Biomedical or micro biology university than "BMB - Rhodes University" can be a option for admission..
Find and search B.Tech colleges in Punjab
Website - http://ggi.ac.in/btech_it.html
Courage101
Project Question: To help teach others about the amazing world of biology
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question biotech bioemed microbio or genetics

Post by Courage101 »

Hello,

It is awesome that you are interested in these things! There are a lot of different opportunities out there and the field is ever growing.

My recommendation as to what you should study is dependent on how your first year in college goes. The great thing about college is that you may enter thinking one thing and end up doing something completely different. For someone entering, you should not put so much emphasis on exactly what major you are going to study. You should have a good idea on what field you are interested in, as in your case genetics, and begin to take classes along that path. You may be surprised and realize you like another type of biology or something else related to the field. As long as you are in the area you are interested in things will work out. So to summarize, put down a major you are interested and begin taking the core classes, but keep an open mind.

If you really like genetics, then look at the majors Genetics, Molecular Biology, or Bioinformatics.

Return to “Careers in Science”