Studying and Pursuing Physics

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

admabdel64
Project Question: I am interested in physics and am wondering how one would become a physicist and what high school classes and extracurricular activities to partake in to get into a decent university. I would also like to know what i should study at the moment to get a jump on my studies in the future.
Project Due Date: I have no absolute due date but the sooner i can have this information the better.
Project Status: Not applicable

Studying and Pursuing Physics

Post by admabdel64 »

My overall dream is to be a physicist and to explore and prove the ultimate theory or aka the theory of everything. I believe that our universe had one singularity meaning it started at one point and then began to expand. My knowledge about the laws and nature of our universe are more advanced for an average 8th grader. But never the less i would like to know how to start my research and progress in the field of physics (specifically particle physics). What high school classes should be necessary? What would one major in to become a physicist? What should one read and research to expand there knowledge on the unification of physics meaning unifying quantum mechanics and general relativity. What theory should one pursue if already gotten there degree, loop quantum gravity or M theory (string theory)?
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Re: Studying and Pursuing Physics

Post by tdaly »

Hi admabdel64,

I'm not a particle physicist, so I don't have much experience with that particular sub-field of physics. However, the high school preparation for most college science and engineering majors is similar. You should take four years of science classes in high school (in the US, this is usually biology, chemistry, physics, plus one more). In addition, take four years of math classes. If your school has AP versions of science and math classes, taking those classes can help your college applications stand out. If your high school has a guidance counselor, or a teacher you get along with well, talk to him or her about what classes you should take to be ready for college. Many high schools that I know of in the US have a "college prep" track.

Once you are in college, majoring in physics would be a good choice if you would like to become a physicist. You will likely need to earn a doctoral degree to become a professional researcher.

In the meantime, reading up on particle physics and cosmology is a great way to learn more about the topic. Brian Greene and Stephen Hawking have written some very nice books. You might try reading "The Elegant Universe" by Dr. Greene, if you haven't already. It might be a bit advanced for 8th grade, but it sounds like you are up for a challenge.

Post back if you have other questions!
All the best,
Terik
nikhita8
Former Expert
Project Question: To Volunteer in Science Buddies
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by nikhita8 »

Hi admabdel 64,

I agree with what the expert Terik said in taking High School and AP physics while in High School as well as talking with your guidance counselor. I would also recommend maybe taking classes at a local community college that interest you. Some of my friends have taken higher level math and science courses at the local community college, while in high school and have really enjoyed the experience. Also you could look into online courses or summer programs at colleges. Like what expert Terik said, your guidance counselor can help you by giving you information about these opportunities.

Good Luck,
nikhita8
admabdel64
Project Question: I am interested in physics and am wondering how one would become a physicist and what high school classes and extracurricular activities to partake in to get into a decent university. I would also like to know what i should study at the moment to get a jump on my studies in the future.
Project Due Date: I have no absolute due date but the sooner i can have this information the better.

Post by admabdel64 »

Thank you to you both I have actually read Dr.Greene's "The Elegant Universe" and surprisingly found it not that hard to comprehend which has pleased me with my level of comprehension. As you both have said I will continue to excel in mathematics and science throughout out high school at AP level if possible. I will also try to confer with my counselor and look for courses at community colleges. If you both take any interest towards Stephen Hawking's glance at our universe you will be pleased with his "Brief History of Time". He talks with brilliance and assumes with knowledge and information to back up his own developed theory's. Both of your helps have been very pleasing, thank you. And I hope i can come to you with even more questions in the future.
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

HI admabdel64,

I'm glad you enjoyed the books by Drs. Green and Hawking. Feel free to post more questions as you have them!
All the best,
Terik
admabdel64

Post by admabdel64 »

Mr. Dalik what do you do as planetary scientist? And is it Dr. Dalik?
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi admabdel64,

My research focuses on what happens when asteroids and comets crash into the moons and planets in our Solar System. This process, called impact cratering, is arguably the most important geological process that sculpts the surfaces and interior structures of planetary bodies. In particular, I seek to understand the fate of the asteroid or comet (the "projectile" or "impactor") when it hits the planet. How much of the impactor survives? What is its state (melted, broken up into a bunch of solid pieces)? How does it mix with the rocks and ice already present on the planet? Currently, I'm working on projects that assess how much of the water in the impactor gets delivered to the target planet. Understanding this process will help us understand how Earth's water arrived on our planet.
All the best,
Terik
admabdel64

Post by admabdel64 »

Thats very interesting thank you for sharing, I will get back to you with more questions.

Return to “Careers in Science”