Bernoulli effect

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Wang

Bernoulli effect

Post by Wang »

Hello!

I find that the cans get close when I blow air between two empty cans.
Then, I confirm that this is becasue Bernoulli effet.

Is there any way that I can calculate the minimum air speed to get the cans to be pushed together?

Thanks.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Bernoulli effect

Post by tdaly »

Hi Wang,

Is your question related to a K-12 science fair project? If so, what is your hypothesis? If not, then a different set of online forums would be better suited to helping you.

That said: Yes, the Bernoulli effect is what draws the two empty cans together. The higher velocity of air between the cans reduces the pressure between the cans; the increased pressure on the outer surfaces of the cans pushes the two cans together. You can learn more about the Bernoulli effect, including an equation that describes the effect if certain conditions hold, by exploring the concepts here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/bercon.html
All the best,
Terik
annieoroberts

Re: Bernoulli effect

Post by annieoroberts »

Bernoulli's principle can also be derived directly from Newton's 2nd law. If a small volume of fluid is flowing horizontally from a region of high pressure to a region of low pressure, then there is more pressure behind than in front. This gives a net force on the volume, accelerating it along the streamline

Return to “Careers in Science”