Molecular Biology & Biotechnology (MBB) vs Biological Engineering

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

kingzednoc123

Molecular Biology & Biotechnology (MBB) vs Biological Engineering

Post by kingzednoc123 »

In terms of career paths, which one is better? What are the similarities and differences of what one can do after one finishes from these programs? Also, are these good pre-medical programs? Thank you!
chtalhaanwar

Re: Molecular Biology & Biotechnology (MBB) vs Biological Engineering

Post by chtalhaanwar »

Hi, Talha here. I have done pre-medical. after that i got admission in biomedical engineering and i am of the view its more better than Molecular Biology, Biotechnology (MBB) & Biological Engineering. But you need to learn more math in it.

[Link removed by Administrator]
mattrosenthal26
Former Student Expert

Post by mattrosenthal26 »

Both of these would be great options! In the case of differences, biomedical engineering focuses more on heath technology (making artificial organs). Getting a degree in biomedical engineering could lead to being employed at hospitals, laboratories, universities and many more great options.

Molecular biology would focus more on the study of biology that looks at the structure and functions of cells. This would not include as much technology as would biomedical engineering so my suggestion would be to determine what major you would like to go into based on you liking and knowledge of engineering/computers. Likewise to biomedical engineering, a major in molecular biology would allow for some great and uniques job opportunities. I hope this was helpful!
MatthewCox

Post by MatthewCox »

I suggest you to try Biotechnology, it's a very demanding career and it's like an engineering career, there is a lot of math involve :roll:

Return to “Careers in Science”