Magnet with weaker or no second pole

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

SEngineer

Magnet with weaker or no second pole

Post by SEngineer »

I have been searching and searching for an answer to this phenomena I have observed. I have two ceramic magnets that are behaving oddly. One of them seems to have completely lost one of the poles. I can stick one side to steel, but the other side will not attract at all. My second ceramic magnet has a significantly weaker second pole. One side is quite strong, but the other has at most 10% of the field strength. Neither magnet has any coatings what so ever, and on the one with the differing strengths, I sanded half of the weakened side to ensure that there was no chance of a invisible coating. The sanding made no difference whatsoever.

I am a college graduate in Mechanical Engineering, so I am well aware that what I am observing should not be possible. Yet it is happening. I am trying to find out through this site, either what is happening, or a way to contact someone who can tell me how this can appear to be. Such as, is it possible for a ceramic magnet to have one pole loop completely back in on itself to give the appearance of a mono-pole or what? I would greatly appreciate any insight, or being pointed in the right direction. I can provide video evidence upon request.

Forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this question, but all I have been able to find is theoretical info. If any one even knows of an expert I can ask, that would be enough.
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Magnet with weaker or no second pole

Post by bfinio »

Hi SEngineer,

This forum is for K-12 students doing school science fair projects, so unfortunately you aren't in the right place. Maybe you'd have better luck somewhere like https://physics.stackexchange.com/?

-Ben

Return to “Careers in Science”