Could Nuclear War Cause Yellowstone Volcano to Erupt

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Tylerpd8

Could Nuclear War Cause Yellowstone Volcano to Erupt

Post by Tylerpd8 »

With recent geopolitical scares like D.P.R.K or Russia nuclear war has begun to sink into the masses minds again like the cold war. I had a interesting question asked of me rather a all out nuclear exchange (M.A.D) could cause earthquakes and volcanoes to occur.

I first thought you could say: Volcanic activities can causing earthquakes. But earthquakes could also cause an eruption. <- This is a lot of assuming! But from what I've read its pretty accurate.

We know nuclear weapons test cause earthquakes, so why wouldn't a all out nuclear war, and if nuclear weapons where to explodes all over the world on all different fault lines, it would be accurate to say at least some tectonic-plate movement would happen, in that case, it could cause volcanoes to erupt.

Then I thought to myself personally, "oh what about the supermassive volcano in our backyard here in the Sates which would also have global ramifications. Not only would civilization have to rebuild from the stone-ages after M.A.D, but deal with a ice age from Yellowstone (and a possible nuclear winter but that is hardly debated and not here to discuss nuclear winter).

So any incite or thought to weather a nuclear exchange on a mass scale could cause Yellowstone to go boom would be greatly appreciated.

(New here wasn't sure where to post this, googled where could I ask scientific questions. Cool place, wish my school showed and or set me up with this as a kid, hope there is some smart minds here been having rather difficult time finding anyone knowing about this subject.)
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Could Nuclear War Cause Yellowstone Volcano to Erupt

Post by MadelineB »

The Ask the Expert forums are for students in grades K-12 who are working on science projects. There are other places on the internet where your questions would be more appropriate. Thank you.

Return to “Careers in Science”