CAREER IN BIOLOGY

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

shalini
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

CAREER IN BIOLOGY

Post by shalini »

In research field of biology,Among Neurosciences and Immunology which one have more scope and oppurtunities?
In research areas of biology,among neurotoxicology and immunology which area had more oppurtunities? i'm equally interested in both in which way i should move on?
MelissaB

Re: CAREER IN BIOLOGY

Post by MelissaB »

I personally don't have experience with either one, but I would say that there are lots of opportunities in both. We will never get rid of disease and the immune system is EXTREMELY complicated, so I think there will be lots of research on this well into the future. Neuroscience is also extremely complicated and important for future human development. So, my suggestion is that if you are looking for a career, you go with whichever one interests you the most.
sunmoonstars
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by sunmoonstars »

I agree with Melissa - there are many opportunities in both fields.

One thing you may consider as well, it that these fields are still evolving. For example, the field of neuroscience is changing due to the recent use of neural stem cells. Change can be very exciting!

Also, many fields have overlap and if you have the interest, you could become a scientist with expertise in both neuroscience and immunology and perhaps look at how the brain is affected by the immune system or can be treated using components from our immune system. This, too, can be very exciting!
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by amyc »

In addition to the great information offered by the other Experts, I wanted to add a few links to the Career Information on the Science Buddies site. Two career profiles in particular you might look at are:

Biologist: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... c001.shtml
Epidemiologist: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... c001.shtml

I talked with one of our staff scientists here at Science Buddies, and she said to keep in mind that these two areas of biology are not necessarily mutually exclusive. If you find them both interesting, you can take coursework for both and immerse yourself in research for diseases that have a neurological component. For example, Alzheimer and multiple sclerosis are two examples of neurological diseases where there is growing evidence for an immune dysfunction. Research into this area (often referred to as Neuroimmunology) is cutting edge. You can find out more about it in the Wikipedia article about Neuroimmunology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroimmunology

Amy
Science Buddies
cahillcahill
Project Question: Biology
Project Due Date: 23/5/2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by cahillcahill »

Both have equal importance. :)

Return to “Careers in Science”