Writing the research paper for the 3rd grade science project

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

lacyray91
Project Question: Figuring out how to write the research paper for a 3rd grade science fair project.
Project Due Date: 2-5-14
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Writing the research paper for the 3rd grade science project

Post by lacyray91 »

My cousin is in the 3rd grade and I'm trying to help her figure out how to write the research paper for her science fair project. All the paper she brought home from school really tells her to do is include the purpose, hypothesis, materials, procedure, results, and conclusion. Is there anything else that needs to be added or is there a certain way the format should be? I'm confused because she's only in the third grade so I wasn't sure how in depth it needed to be.
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Writing the research paper for the 3rd grade science pro

Post by amyc »

Hi - In third grade, I would think the elements of the paper would certainly be less in-depth than what you may be thinking of in terms of a research paper. Even so, she can still have and learn about the major sections, which it sounds like is what you have on the sample or informational sheet she brought home.

There is information about research papers and the sections here: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... aper.shtml

That may be helpful for you as you work with her.

Using the "tabs" on that resource, you will find samples, a worksheet, and other material that may be useful. Just keep in mind that given her grade level, it is important that her paper be at her level of understanding and articulation of the project she did, the procedure she used, and the results she observed.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades K-5: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”