HYPOTHESIS

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

lanesmom
Project Question: Is this a good Hypothesis.....

I have observed that lemon juice will keep an apple from browning. Are there other substances commonly found in the kitchen that are more effective than lemon juice in keeping an apple from turning brown?
Project Due Date: 3-26-15
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

HYPOTHESIS

Post by lanesmom »

IS THIS A GOOD HYPOTHESIS....
I have observed that lemon juice will keep an apple from browning. Are there other substances commonly found in the kitchen that are more effective than lemon juice in keeping an apple from turning brown?
SandbaggerOne
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer expert.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: HYPOTHESIS

Post by SandbaggerOne »

Hi there!

This is not a bad start. It would be even better if you could come up with a more specific hypothesis. Hint, is there some property of lemon juice that you might find in other kitchen items that might help you form a hypothesis about which substances will prevent browning and which will not?

Have you looked at the Science Buddies page on Hypotheses: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... hypothesis ?

Cheers,
Colin
lanesmom
Project Question: Is this a good Hypothesis.....

Project Due Date: 3-26-15
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by lanesmom »

Thanks for your insight.... we have done more work on this and have come up with the following....

Purpose:
What substance will keep my apple from turning brown in my lunch?

Hypothesis:
I have learned in my research that oxygen reacts with the enzymes in an apple to turn it brown. If I can coat my apple slices with a commonly found food substance they will not turn brown.

Are we getting close?????

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!
SandbaggerOne
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer expert.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by SandbaggerOne »

"Hypothesis:
I have learned in my research that oxygen reacts with the enzymes in an apple to turn it brown. If I can coat my apple slices with a commonly found food substance they will not turn brown."

This is even better! However, I still think that you can refine this a bit. You already know that lemon juice works. Lemon juice is acidic and has antioxidant properties. I can name several other food items that fit one or both of those descriptions: tea (acidic and antioxidant), tomato juice (acidic and antioxidant), olive oil (antioxidant), coffee (acidic and antioxidant), Orange juice (acidic and antioxidant), vinegar (primarily acidic). On the other hand, things like milk, water, soda water, are not. You could hypothesize that one or more of these substances will also prevent browning based on their known properties while other will not. You could also switch it up a bit and hypothesize that lemon juice will also prevent browning of other food items, like potatoes.

Here are some other resources that may help: http://www.education.com/science-fair/a ... ing-brown/
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... urn-brown/

Cheers,
Colin

Return to “Grades K-5: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”