Chemical Change versus Physical Change

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Greenwood55
Project Question: Can Water Float on Water
Project Due Date: ASAP
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Chemical Change versus Physical Change

Post by Greenwood55 »

My son just completed his project "Can Water Float on Water". Now he's writing some background information on it. We are both confused because were not sure if it's a Chemical Change or a Physical Change. We mixed salt, water and food coloring together. I thought it was a Physical Change because no new bonds were formed (the salt remained the same as well as the food coloring and water). My niece thinks it a Chemical Change because of the salt & food color. Please help. His project is due ASAP.

Thanks So Much.

Also, how do you know when you have responded.

Thanks Again
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: Chemical Change versus Physical Change

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

I vote for Physical change because, as you said no new chemical bonds are formed. If you evaporated the water you could isoalte the same salt as you started with, and recover the same dye as you added originally, therefore there was no chemical change involved, only physical changes.

How do you know when your question is answered? When you post a reply at the bottom of the message box below the Submit button are a series of check boxes. The bottom one is an option to receive an email when a reply is posted to the thread. Click the box to the checked option to get an email when a reply is posted.

Best regards,

Barrett L. Tomlinson

Return to “Grades K-5: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”