Bubble wrap and eggs

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Venomblood11
Project Question: Why does a larger bubble protect an egg better then a small bubble when using bubble wrap?
Project Due Date: March 10,2013
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Bubble wrap and eggs

Post by Venomblood11 »

My sons science fair project is which bubble wrap protects eggs better. Based on his testing the larger bubble wrap bubbles protect the egg more . He has been unable to find information explaining why though, can you help?
jmehta14
Former Expert
Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Bubble wrap and eggs

Post by jmehta14 »

Hi,
Depending upon how your son did his project you can come up with an explanation. Air trapped between two sheets of plastic offers more cushioning to distribute forces offered on an egg shell . You need to review the principal of trapped air and the cushioning it can provide against dropping. I hope this helps.
scincerely,
Jay
mimimama
Project Question: The effect of temperature on sugar production
Project Due Date: 3/6/15
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Bubble wrap and eggs

Post by mimimama »

When I did this project last year, I told them that since the larger bubble wrap had more air, it cushioned the fall rather than one with more bubbles but less air. It worked, and I got first place for my grade! Hope this helps.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”