Science Fair Project Questions?

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

AlexanderN711
Project Question: So I have a question about a Science Fair Idea relating to Basketball? How could I change up the question or this idea into something bigger and less dull for my Grade Level "8th Grade" the question is "When you shoot a basketball above your shoulders and from your chest, Which position has a better chance of going in the hoop ? " Please help w/ New Idea, Thanks!
Project Due Date: So far right now we are coming up with ideas, My experiment didn't work out so I have to think of a new Idea as soon as possible.
Project Status: I am just starting

Science Fair Project Questions?

Post by AlexanderN711 »

Hi Everybody! This is my first time using this site so I will try and word this the best I can! So our school, has a science fair coming up soon and as a grade we gotta come up with a question. For my project, I really am into Basketball so I wanted to do something similar to it, My question was that "When you shoot a basketball above your shoulders and from your chest, Which position has a better chance of going in the hoop ? " But I don't like it...at all. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a good science project related w/ basketball that's a appropriate for an 8th grader. Thanks everyone!
matthewgettemy
Former Expert
Occupation: Student-Grad School Physics Education, Lab Technician-PPG
Project Question: I am registering to be a Science Buddies Adviser
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science Fair Project Questions?

Post by matthewgettemy »

Hi Alexander,
Welcome to Science Buddies!

I guess the project that you looked at was this one:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p010.shtml

Here is another project from this site that involves basketball:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p021.shtml

If you're still looking for something different you can devise you own experiment. The first thing that comes to mind for me is how would a partially deflated ball affect game play?
You could time yourself and a few friends dribbling the ball up and down the court at maximum speed, and do this different amounts of air pressure in the ball. See if there is a pressure at which people can move the fastest. You would need an air pump that tells you the pressure in the ball as you are pumping it up.

Another thing you might measure is the how high the ball bounces when dropped from a fixed height at different air pressures. You could drop the ball from 10 feet in the
air every time on to pavement, and then measure the rebound height of the ball at different amounts of increasing air pressure.

Have Fun!
AlexanderN711
Project Question: So I have a question about a Science Fair Idea relating to Basketball? How could I change up the question or this idea into something bigger and less dull for my Grade Level "8th Grade" the question is "When you shoot a basketball above your shoulders and from your chest, Which position has a better chance of going in the hoop ? " Please help w/ New Idea, Thanks!
Project Due Date: So far right now we are coming up with ideas, My experiment didn't work out so I have to think of a new Idea as soon as possible.
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Science Fair Project Questions?

Post by AlexanderN711 »

Thanks so much for the reply! Really appreciate it (: I was wondering though like... Is there a good experiment involving this thats my level, Which you dont have to test on humans? Bc it makes the variables a little more difficlt?

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”