Question about our topic/ballistics/comparing

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

mabfab
Project Question: Question about science fair topic.
Project Due Date: Dec 8th
Project Status: I am just starting

Question about our topic/ballistics/comparing

Post by mabfab »

My son and husband came up with a Question, hypothesis and experiment idea. I am worried it will not be Science Fair "worthy" or will break some sort of rule. Having NEVER done a Science fair myself, I am not at all sure if we are OK on doing this experiment! PLEASE help! :)

Question: Which 45 cal bullet is ideal for home defense (short range).

Hypothesis: The Hornady Critical Damage Hollow point 45 Cal bullet will enter the gel block with the least penetration and the most expansion. (Which will prove it is an ideal bullet for home defense.)

They plan to test several varieties of Hollow point 45 bullets and also using one Standard jacketed for the control by shooting them all into a gel block (so we can SEE which one has less penetration etc)

If this WONT WORK, do you have any ideas where we can fire into gel blocks?
Do you have better ideas for this?

My 14 yr old son is passionate about firearms and we are gun people (TOTALLY and respectfully SAFE) so this is his passion. I just don't want our project to get thrown out because of technicalities.

ALSO, this is a homeschool science project so public school political JUNK will not be in the way here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mandy
cheer4christ@Hotmail.com
mabfab
Project Question: Question about science fair topic.
Project Due Date: Dec 8th
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Question about our topic/ballistics/comparing

Post by mabfab »

Also... I am unsure what TOPIC this would be under.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”